Friday 18 February 2011

Damn That's Good Coffee

I was recently channel hopping on late night TV when I stumbled across an episode of Twin Peaks on the Horror channel.  After watching it I found myself beginning a series of late night sessions with my series 2 box set which I hadn’t previously opened, despite waiting for it’s release for about 10 years, because my boyfriend was still in a huff with me (for accidentally blurting out who killed Laura Palmer while watching series one) and had refused to watch any more.  I had been waiting for him to get over it, but nevertheless. 
For anyone who hasn’t seen Twin Peaks you are definitely missing out on one of the coolest, quirkiest and most addictive ‘who dun its’ ever aired, and so I am starting this blog to share my love for Twin Peaks and what makes such a cult classic series.

I first watched Twin Peaks when it was shown on BBC 2 in 1990.  I was 10 years old.  It seems a little strange now that I was so fixated with it then (and that my mother let me watch it), but actually there was a whole group of us in my class that used to watch it and would all gather in the playground the day after to discuss the previous night’s episode.
One of the things I had forgotten about Twin Peaks is that it has such a brilliantly dry, albeit quirky, sense of humour, something not exactly synonymous with American television, especially back in the 90s.   Even more, it manages to combine dry humour with some really dark and pretty downright scary story lines.  But I guess that’s all down to David Lynch, a seriously talented and weird individual (also check out some of his films - Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive). 

David Lynch
Very broadly (and without spoiling for non watchers) the story goes like this:  in the picturesque, sleepy town of Twin Peaks, the community is thrown into shock when the body of a young girl is found.  This girl is Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee).  Laura is the perfect all-American-girl; homecoming queen, charity volunteer and dating the captain of the football team etc, but after she is discovered washed up on the beach, wrapped in plastic, some disturbing truths begin to become unearthed about Laura and the rest of the town.

The case is passed from the local Sheriff’s department to the FBI: enter Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle McLaughlan), a tall dark and handsome detective from the big city, who is as fabulous and meticulous as he is odd.  Dale Cooper successfully wins over the local law enforcement team and leads the investigation, taking inspiration from his dreams of Tibet, and all the while consuming enough cherry pie and black coffee to keep the local diner in business.

Dale Cooper

So anyway, if you’re a ‘peaky’ and want to join in my ramblings, then please do.  If you’re a Twin Peaks virgin then have a look at the trailer below.

No comments:

Post a Comment